[GNC] Operating Checking Account in Overdraft

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 31 05:27:50 EDT 2018

On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 08:14:14 BST Murray Field wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a permanent overdraft with our bank and we operate our account
> fluctuating within   the overdraft limit approved.
>
> How should this be classified in gnucash?
>
> As an asset, a liability or something else? We could not find any reference
> to our situation in your guide which we have downloaded.
>
> We are potential new users.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Murray and Yvonne Field

Hi, welcome to the list.

I would create the bank account as an asset and let it have a negative
balance.  That way, your view of the account will match the Bank's view...
(running balance when overdrawn is a negative number)

As Adrien said, a local accountant will know your local regulations and norms
and may be able to advise - I'm not an accountant.... but if this is for
personal (not buisness) records, there is normally a lot of leeway in what you
can do, as long as you are consistent!

0.02
Maf.