[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 13:46:04 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:10 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> I’m not sure what kind of work this would be on the devs, but Ubuntu has a
> special procedure for LibreOffice and Firefox (if not other apps, perhaps
> Thunderbird and Chrome/Chromium as well) where new versions are available
> in the LTS repos either as available or by point-release.
>
> This may be an option for GnuCash.
>
> I’m not sure what’s involved, or if the team just has to ask Canonical to
> give it the same special treatment.
>
> But Canonical might prefer to push for an up-to-date Snap instead.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

What you're describing is a special Ubuntu maintainer -- essentially
someone who has volunteered (and in some cases paid?) to keep particular
packages up-to-date. They have identified a few "mission critical" packages
such as web browsers and LibreOffice as deserving special treatment.

Most packages, like GnuCash, get copied in from Debian and go into the
"Universe" repository. The folks in charge of those are called "Masters of
the Universe" or MOTU.