[GNC] Closing and reopening Gnucash

Cheryl Wheeler c_wheeler_2002 at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 31 10:20:59 EDT 2018

Richard,

It sounds as though you may be opening the latest backup file instead of
your main data file. The data file should be named something like
RichardsData.gnucash (or whatever you named it). The backup filenames
will contain strings of numbers, which are date stamps indicating when
they were saved, something like RichardsData.gnucash.20180731154137.gnucash.

If that is what you have been doing, then probably your original data
file does not have all of your data, because you have been saving new
data into your backup files. I suggest the following:

  - open your last-opened file (as Adrien says, you can do that just by
launching the GnuCash application)
  - use the menu options File -> Save As to save the file under the
original data filename
  - in future, open the file with that original filename.gnucash only,
unless you know that you need to do something with a backup file for
some reason. You can do this by launching GnuCash, which will open the
last-opened data file automatically.
  - to reduce confusion, you may want to delete some of your old backup
files, and maybe limit the number of days that they are saved, if you
haven't already done that.

Hope that helps.