[GNC] latest gnucash release (3.1) feedback

Alun Champion list at achampion.net
Sat Jun 2 08:29:23 EDT 2018

Thank you all, this gave me enough information to track down and create
custom styling, having the tabs down the left side meant all the top and
bottom margin and padding was just wasted space.

Note: One minor issue I found when switching between 2.6.21 and 3.1 is that
any open reports seems to lose the start date, no idea why.

I’m on a Mac, was able to run the gtk3 inspector by running
GTK_DEBUG=interactive
/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash from the command line,
which shows the various css nodes (and you can experiment with the
styling). And created a ~/Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/gtk-3.0.css
for tight tabs:

notebook tab {
  min-height: 0px;
  margin-top: 0px;
  margin-bottom: 0px;
  padding-left: 0px;
  padding-right: 0px;
}

notebook tab box {
  padding-top: 2px;
  padding-bottom: 2px;
}

I was also able to change the colors in the reports by changing the
base_colors in
/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/scm/html-utilities.scm
.
​