[GNC] Entering preexisting shares

Graham Balin graham.balin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:03:32 EDT 2018

On 06/06/2018 20:28, John C wrote:
> Assuming you're transferring shares from one brokerage account to
> another, I found it best to enter the shares and their original
> purchase dates in the destination stock account and the cash used for
> the purchase comes from Equity: Opening Balances.  This way maintains
> the lot purchase dates and doesn't seem to conflict with the brokerage
> account opening date.
>
> You could also enter a negative number of shares and the base price in
> one stock account and the same (but positive) number of shares and
> base price in the destination account.
>
> You won't have much luck trying to credit the stock account directly
> from Equity:Opening Balances, because the currencies are different,
> "shares" vs. "dollars".

Wow! Didn't expect a reply that fast!
No, I wasn't transferring, just trying to enter a date in the past when
i bought the shares. I take your point about the conflict with opening
dates -will play around with that.

[Crediting the stock account seems to be what is described in 9.5.1 of
the guide; it is the value of the shares that is credited ]

Thanks for the reply
--

Cheerio,

Graham