[GNC] Online quotes problem

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jun 9 06:48:53 EDT 2018

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 10:22:19 BST Graham Balin wrote:
> Many thanks for the reply, but sadly none of this works.
> I tried adding an ".AX" stock as described below but that didn't work
> either.
> I'm afraid I don't understand the references to API for AlphaVantage -
> is that something I need to find out about?

Hi Graham

OK, back in November Yahoo stopped providing price information.  There was a
lot of traffic on the list around then and some rapid patches provided by
various developers to keep the wheels turning.

There are a couple of alternatives you can use - there is a service called
Alphavantage which is nearly the same as the old Yahoo service.  But you need
to register with Alphavantage and get an " API key" (a sequence of
Alphanumeric characters to authorise you on their service) which the Finance
Quote PERL scripts need to be told, but then can handle getting price info
from Alphavantage.  The Gnucash FAQ contains details and instructions about
that.

Another option - it has been reported on the list that Yahoo still have a way
to get info - but you need to tell F::Q use "yahoo_json" in place of Yahoo.  I
haven't tried it.  The list archives will have more info if you can search and
find it!

HTH,
Maf.