[GNC] New User, First Invoice...Cue Weird Music!

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Wed Jun 13 09:35:45 EDT 2018

I'm a brand-new GnuCash user and I set up a chart of accounts and used
it to draw up an invoice for my first customer. All good so far. Then, a
couple of days later, when I went to check something...the first (and
biggest) line item had completely disappeared from the invoice in
Gnucash; the total for the invoice had dropped from $672 to $223
although the reminder said that Accounts Receivable was still expecting
$672. Well, I went in to edit the invoice to restore the first line
item...and now it can't seem to do math. 1381.43 feet of movie film
scanning at thirty cents a foot comes out to $414.43, as was correctly
shown on the original invoice and as anyone can confirm with a
calculator...yet Gnucash now says that the total for that line item is
$382.84! I've tried deleting it and re-entering it a couple of times,
and it still can't do math. I've double-checked to make sure that no
hidden discounts are being applied. See attached screenshot of the
current Gnucash entry superimposed over the original (PDF) Gnucash invoice.

The lady has paid me (from the original invoice), by the way, and I'd
like to register her payment correctly. This is very frustrating and I
would appreciate guidance. Thanks!

--

--------Eric H. Bowen
eric at ehbowen.net <mailto:eric at ehbowen.net>