[GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

John Bonnett jbonnett at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 14 04:37:31 EDT 2018

From:
Ethan Swint <eswint at vt.edu>

Date:
14/06/2018 3:18 PM

>Hi -
>
>I just made the jump from 2.6 to 3.1, but I found that I lost all of my lot
>info for stocks and my saved report configurations. My google-fu is not
>good WRT scanning the list, so if any have encountered similar situation,
>I'd be much obliged.
>
>Thanks!

I did the upgrade to 3.1 and also lost my reports. Here is what I did to get them back after looking at some comments by others on the mailing list. By the way I am on Windows 10.

I searched using Jam UltraSearch for files and folders with "gnucash" in them. I found quite a few but one in particular was ".gnucash", notice the initial "." which is a convention in Linux for a configuration folder. I found it at this path

"C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

in it I found this file

"C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4"

which looked a bit suspicious. In it I found Scheme code for my missing reports.

Another folder I found in my search was

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"

Now this Roaming folder often holds configuration information on Windows. It also had recently dated files in it so was probably related to my recent installation of GnuCash 3.1.

I copied the above mentioned saved reports file to

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\saved-reports-2.4"

and next time I opened GnuCash my reports had returned.

I have replaced my username in the above with <username> as yours will likely be different.

Hope this helps.

John Bonnett