[GNC] Trying to get started...

Ed edy at dr.com
Fri Jun 15 17:13:48 EDT 2018

   Hi everyone,

   I'm new to GNUcash and starting to just get some simple things input
   into the program from Excel. Let's assume a simple account structure
   like this:

   Assets
    > Current Assets
     >> Chequing Account
   Income
    > Revenue/POS Machine
      >> VISA
      >> M/C
      >> Debit Card

   So I have a business that has a machine that accepts VISA, M/C, Debit
   card processing. The money gets deposited straight into my Chequing
   account. I tried to import data from Excel in CSV format but it seemed
   to do everything in reverse. That is, instead of Income it made it
   Charges, and I tried to make it Transfer to Assets:Current:Chequing it
   made it a Withdrawal. That is, it was backwards too.

   I assumed that money coming in via a point-of-sale terminal could be
   placed under income and then transfered to the chequing account and
   that it would show up as INCOME and then I transfer to the CHEQUING
   account and it shows up as deposit in there. I'm confused as to why
   things are "backwards".

   Second issue is... I am importing a pile of Excel data from CSV. Is
   there any easy way to populate the "Transfer" field in the CSV file.
   That is, can I have it set up like this:

   Date,Description,Amount,TransferAcct

   So for example:

   2018-06-15,Sale to Bob,$500,Assets:Current:Chequing

   So I would import it into the Income:Revenue:VISA account, and it would
   automatically make all the entries have the appropriate transfer field
   already populated. Otherwise I assume I just copy/paste that field.
   There is no way to select a bunch of transactions and make them all
   transfer (create the double-entry) to another single account of my
   choosing? Thanks for any help... I'm pretty good with computers
   normally so I hope I can be up to speed fairly quickly.

   Edy
   edy at dr.com