[GNC] Updated to 3.1 - lost lots & report

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Jun 16 04:53:06 EDT 2018

Op donderdag 14 juni 2018 10:37:31 CEST schreef John Bonnett:
> I found it at this path
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash"

Gnucash 3.1 is supposed to migrate from this directory to
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash

I don't know why this didn't happen for you.

> in it I found this file
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> which looked a bit suspicious. In it I found Scheme code for my missing
> reports.
>
> Another folder I found in my search was
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
>
> Now this Roaming folder often holds configuration information on Windows. It
> also had recently dated files in it so was probably related to my recent
> installation of GnuCash 3.1.

This directory should be generated as part of the first-time run of gnucash
3.1.

Can you do an experiment to help evaluate the migration step ?
Can you
1. quit gnucash if it's still running
2. rename
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash.bkp"
That moves it out of the way of gnucash.
3. Start gnucash
=> Does it report a migration of meta data ?
4. Quit gnucash
5. Locate the most recent trace file [1] and post it here.

> I copied the above mentioned saved reports file to
>
> "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\saved-reports-2.4"
>
> and next time I opened GnuCash my reports had returned.

Indeed. You manually completed the migration. I would like to figure out why
this didn't happen in the first place.

Thanks,

Geert