[GNC] Is there a Save As command line option

salex salex at mac.com
Sat Jun 16 09:23:59 EDT 2018

I've been using GnuCash for about 4 years on a Mac as the sole user with a
custom sharing/archive procedure. The accounting book is for a Veterans of
Foreign Wars (VFW) post which I volunteered to maintain. I now have a need
to have another person to access and update the data.

My current sharing procedure is:
  I do a "Save As" to sqlite3 file (then immedialtly reopen the XML version)
Still leery of using SQL backends as the datastore (I'd rather use Postgres
but have not tried that yet)
  I run a bash script on the mac that does a rsync of my gnucash directory
(includes the sqlite3 version) to a debian server at the office. I usually
do this about once a week (after a bank deposit and/or mini-reconcile with
online banking)
  I have a Rails engine in our organization's web serve that can access the
sqlite3 DB (read only) and provide custom reports, check registers and any
thing else I want to write.

I am training a new person to take over the accounting tasks, but will
probably share some tasks. My plan was to use only the XML book on the
debian server (I can get to it, and a windows machine at the office can get
to it). Just have to remember to quit after any updates.  If I'm not
mistaken, GnuCash won't let you open a book that is open.

I have a few obstacles. I can use cron to do a backup rsync to something
offsite. I (me, not assistant - at least initially) have to do the "Save As"
manually so the latest updates are available on the web site. (I also have
to restart my Rails server after an update)

I may be able to automate this some way, but not sure what way! That is why
I was looking for a way the have a script do a "Save As" - that would be
helpful.

Just looking for any ideas were you are sharing a book on a server. Any
comments on using Postgres as a shared environment would also be welcome. I
can automate saving Postgres dumps.

Steve Alex