[GNC] GnuCash frequently crashes. (Jay)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sat Jun 23 18:53:35 EDT 2018

> On Jun 23, 2018, at 2:51 PM, Jay Kvam <kvam.jay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> GnuCash frequently crashes. It seems that a crash is provoked most often in
> the following cases:
>
>   1. Attempting to delete a split from a new, unsaved transaction.
>   2. Attempting to save a transaction duplicated from a previous, unsaved
>   transaction.
>
> Doing either of the above actions does not always result in a crash; it’s
> unpredictable yet frequent. In addition to the obvious interruption of a
> crash, the workaround is to neurotically save after entering a transaction
> or two. The more unsaved transactions, the more likely a crash and the
> greater the loss in time, having to reenter lost transactions.
>
> I launched GnuCash using Terminal to look at what John referred to as a
> “trace file” in a separate post and was able to capture a crash error
> message provoked by Case 1 above; here’s that message:
>
> **gnc.register.ledger:ERROR:/Users/john/Development/Gnucash-Build/Gnucash-3-Mavericks/src/gnucash-3.1/gnucash/register/ledger-core/split-register.c:1072:gnc_split_register_delete_current_split:
> assertion failed: (!pending_trans)zsh: abort
> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
>
> I’ve also attached the Console log within User Reports, also as John
> suggested in that other post.
>
> I hope the message and attached log help (If attachments are passed along
> to the listserv; I don’t know.).
>
> macOS 10.12.5 “Sierra”

Jay,

Please open a bug for this.

In addition to the trace file, check the User Reports section of Console to see if there are any GnuCash crash reports. If there are, please examine the stack trace on each and attach a representative report for each to the bug along with the trace file. If there aren’t any crash reports say so in the bug description, it’s an important distinction.

Regards,
John Ralls