[GNC] New Balsheet (and P&L report)

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 00:03:07 EDT 2018

Hi Stephen

Thank you for valuable feedback... all these issues are cosmetic / account
selection, and are relatively trivial.... except that Placeholder accounts
can also contain transactions therefore must not necessarily accumulate
their children account amounts.

My major concern relates to switching amounts to a so-called "Report
Currency". But IMO this leads to balance sheets to being confused with
'stock valuation'

The existing balance sheet offers weighted-average, average-cost, nearest,
latest. AFAIU weighted-average and average-cost obtains prices from the
actual transactions; nearest means 'use price nearest to report-date', and
latest means 'use today's nearest price'

Let's say I bought:
100 AAPL at $10 in 2006, and
50 AAPL at $20 in 2009; and
AAPL was $110 in 2015
AAPL is about $180 in 2018

I'm wanting stock valuation in 2015.
- original currency - shows 150 AAPL, no price conversion (i.e. simplest)
- cost price - 100x$10 + 50x$20 = $2000 (labour intensive because each
stock transaction must be analysed, and converted using any available price
entry to the report currency)
- nearest - 150x$110 = $16,500 (simple)
- latest - 150x$180 = $27,000 (also simple)

Please check latest showing balsheet multicolumn amounts converted to
report currency; although they're esthetically nice, this has increased the
level of complexity a magnitude a tad too high... (I wouldn't know how/if
income/expense amounts can/must be subject to price conversion...)

I'd be keen to remove price conversion to report currency myself...