[GNC] Fwd: The two modules

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 16:48:16 EDT 2018

On June 28, 2018, at 1:12 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

>Op donderdag 28 juni 2018 18:47:18 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
[Snip]
>> Maybe the financial folks can band together to get the developers to
>> enforce no-transactions to a parent account.
>I think we should modify the concepts. "Placeholder" is ambiguous and for the
>lack of a better solution is has been abused to make existing accounts read-
>only.I

I am under the impression that the placeholder setting is only meant to make an account read-only, so saying that users have "abused" this seems incorrect. We've used the tool we've been given.

>Perhaps it's time to introduce a "View" type account which is only used to
>structure the account tree (and as aggregate account in reports) and next to
>that introduce a read-only attribute to normal accounts. Placeholder could
>then be phased out in favor of these two. We could even try to automate this
>using some heuristics:
>- if a placeholder account has no transactions, convert it into a view account
>- if a placeholder account does have transactions, make it read-only instead.
>Add in an informational message to the user about what was done so the user
>can make corrections if needed (like adding view accounts if an account was
>being used for both functions).
>Geert

You might even call a View account "Closed," or are there other reasons an account might behave this way?

I'd also add that eliminating these accounts from drop down controls should go along with the changes, but assume that would be implied from the fact that Placeholder accounts don't appear there currently.I

David