[GNC] Fwd: The two modules

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 29 00:41:47 EDT 2018

John,

I agree with you that making the accounts with child accounts have no
transactions is being unnecessarily restrictive and may not meet all
possible use cases but perhaps having the option of being able to restrict
it to that case if it suits an individual's purpose is a suitable
compromise. The other thing may be to issue a warning when you have made an
account with transactions a Placeholder account and that you may want to
transfer those transactions to a subaccount or another account entirely. At
the moment, I think it simply flags that you have made the account
read-only.

I don't find the name Placeholder accounts too undescriptive of the function
of providing a higher level grouping of accounts with some commanality of
purpose/function. Adding an additional option to be able to in addition make
placeholder accounts strictly Placeholder (i.e. unable to accept
transactions into them) would be one way to go which would retain that
flexibility for those who have a need for Placholder accounts to be a target
for transactions.

I personally can live with it as it is now and impose my own rules on my
usage for placeholders not to have transactions into them and just take
appropriate action to transfer existing transactions if you change an
account to a placeholder account.

Perhaps all that is necessary is really to highlight the implications of
making an account a placeholder in the documentation/guide, perhaps in the
section of setting up the CoA. i haven't read that for several yers now so i
might check it out.

In either case, any reports have to be able to cope with the cases where a
placeholder account does have transactions directly into it or does no,t in
an appropriate manner.  My personal preference would be for

If a parent has transactions put it twice:
Once as aggregate account and once as an account on it's own. That would
meet
both needs. The aggregate will total it's own transactions with those of its
child accounts. Or put differently the aggregate account would treat itself
as
a child account.

David Cousens

-----