[GNC] Fwd: The two modules

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 29 01:02:32 EDT 2018

Hi Stephen,

I agree with your wife about not including the Income Statement inside a
Balance Sheet. These serve different functions and it just makes a Balance
Sheet more complicated than necessary. From an accounting perspective you
should be able to evaluate a balance sheet fairly quickly and having a
fairly uniform layout means comparison of balance sheets for different
entities is much easier, which is the rational for trying to get the IFRS
standards adopted world wide. My personal preference is for simple reports
which meet one specific objective well and clearly.

As I explained in a post to John, I don't necessarily require GnuCash to
impose parent placholder accounts not to have transactions into them
specifically, but it would be a nice feature to have an option to make
adherence strict if the user requires it. It may however require
considerable code mods to achieve that and I can achieve that by just
removing any transactions which target an account i make a placeholder to a
sub-account or another account. More difficult of course if you have a large
number of such transactions. A lot of people use GnuCash for a lot of
functions other than formal accounting so as David T pointed out some people
may find being able to make transactions to a parent account useful and also
use the placholder readonly functionality to meet other requirements. I
can't think of a specific case but I am all for retaining as much
flexibility in GnuCash as possible.  It may be just better documentation fof
the Placholder setting may achieve that.

Cheers

David

-----
David Cousens