How can I recover lost transactions

Jan jloubates at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 15:59:04 EST 2018

I have a very large gnucash file based originally on a Microsoft Money file.
I have been using Gnucash for approximately 3 years with no problems.

However, today, I noticed that one of my accounts (an income account) is
missing years' worth of transactions.  I use the account to track my
husband's social security income. I am missing all of the transactions from
May 2005 to the present time except for the 12 transactions from 2015. The
balance on the account accurately reflects the total value of all of the
missing and extant transactions! Also all of the transactions on the other
side of the double-sided entry are present and correct (credits to a bank
account).

The account is a sub-account to a Placeholder account, which is a
sub-account to Income.

Income
     Social Security
         Social Security - G

Do you believe the transactions can still be there?
Has some file damage damaged a link that can be repaired?
Did this happen because I changed the account to a placeholder account? (I
have no idea when I did this and have changed computer at least twice since
I started using gnucash.)

What can I do to correct the situation?

Thanks

Jan