Account Report/Register Report

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 08:56:57 EST 2018

On 06/03/2018 01:25, Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Using Linux Mint 18.3, Gnucash 2.6.19...
>
> There's a report I like to use called Account Report. You can get to it
> after opening a register. I use this report to see what gnc has as the cost
> basis for an investment.

I'm not sure that was how it was meant to be used so it may be that it
is occasional that it is producing the number you expect or want :)

> Because of the way my 401(k) provider calculates cost basis, I have found
> that the only way to properly track realized gains/losses in gnc is to
> manually make the entries myself. So I use this report and set the options
> to Amount = SINGLE and tick the 'Value' option. The net Value Change neatly
> reflects my cost basis (assuming there are no filters and all transactions
> in the account are visible).

That sounds good.

> My question is: Can I go somewhere and change the defaults for this report
> so that I don't have to select them every time? For any other report, I
> would save the report to ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.4 and just select the
> account I wanted to report on.

I can save a register report on windows, I haven't tried on another OS
to see if it is different there.

> But this report doesn't have an option to select the account so my next
> thought was to change the defaults.

Are you, perhaps, trying to make a report do something it wasn't
intended to do ?  If so why ?

Is there anything unusual that you think might be preventing you from
saving it for reuse other than not understanding what is being reported?

--
Wm