Adding reimburseable expenses to invoices

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Mar 8 04:15:40 EST 2018

On Thursday, 8 March 2018 06:36:29 GMT DaCappie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On almost all my invoices for my business, I either request the customer
> reimburse me for USPS shipping or filing fees.
>
> So, a typical invoice will have two lines:
>
> 1. WORK THAT IS DONE - income account - income:sales - $2,000
> 2. Shipping - income account - income:reimburseable expenses
>
> ---
>
> I post the invoice, then I get a deposit in my bank account.  I assign that
> deposit as a payment, so it goes to accounts receivable.  It then shows up
> on the invoice as a payment.
> ---
>
> The problem is, if I do it this way, it's difficult to later try to tally up
> how much money I actually was paid in SALES and not reimburseable expenses
> for a period, because it groups the reimburseable expenses in there.
>
> Also, income:reimburseable expenses never is balanced, because I cannot
> assign a payment, even when I split, and have a portion of it go to
> income:reimburseable expenses, because when you assign the payment, it goes
> to A/R.  If I later modify the split portion that is for shipping to go to
> income:reimburseable expenses, it no longer shows up on the invoice as a
> payment.
>
> So what is the best way to do this?

Hi,

I'm not sure I quite understand you.

If you report on Income:Sales and Income:reimbursableExps that should give you
the totals for each type of income over the period. (hint: transaction report,
Options -> Sorting -> Primary Key: AccountName, Secondary Subtotal:None)

Edit: just thought - is this related to your other question from a different
username about unpaid invoices.... I can't see any way to allocate the unpaid
balance between unpaid sales and un-reimbursed expenses.

As to your other question, why would an income account ever be balanced?  It
should keep increasing over time.  Presumably you have a matching expense
account, something like Exps:ToBeReimbursed which will  "cancel" the income
account balance at tax time?

Maf.