Adding reimburseable expenses to invoices

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Mar 8 09:23:26 EST 2018

On Thursday, 8 March 2018 12:59:06 GMT DaCappie wrote:
> So for the matching expense account, how often would that be updated?  In
> other words, when i receive a payment for $356.65, and $350 was for
> income:sales and $6.65 was for shipping/postage, would I manually add
> something about $6.65 to expenses:reimbursedexpenses at that time, which
> would balance out the original $6.65 that was on
> income:reimburseableexpenses?

Hi,

I imagine that you pay for the postage as you send the item, so that is when
the Expense:reimbursable account is increased.

The transaction sequence would be something like this:

Bank:Current -> ExpensesReimbursable (when you post the item)

IncomeSales & Income:Reimbursable -> A/R (when you write the invoice)

A/R -> Bank (when the invoice is paid)

this also answeres your question about how much unpaid invoice is allocated
against reimbursables - look at the difference between the income & expense
accounts at tax time (expense would be numerically greater if some invoices
are unpaid)

HTH,
Maf.