Importing Quicken

Ken Pyzik pyz01 at cox.net
Sat Mar 10 11:12:40 EST 2018

Edward -- I did the switch about 8 months ago and have not looked back.

I am pretty sure you can directly import your file from Quicken.  I do not
remember exactly how I did it but I think QIF means quicken file so it
should work.

Three things to be aware:

1.  If you use categories -- those no longer exist is GNUCASH.  Each
category, theoretically becomes a separate account
2.  Double entry accounting means that for every entry there will be an
opposite an equal "counter" entry into a second account
3.  Finally, to get started at the beginning, you will have some "beginning
balances" entries.

Hope this all makes sense.  It may not covert over 100% --- and depending
upon how long you were using Quicken -- you could have a lot of
transactions.  I had transactions dated back to 2001 -- and decided I did
not want to carry all that stuff -- so I picked a cutoff date (1/1/2014) and
ended up deleting everything before that.    It was a bit a work -- but in
the end -- very much worth it.

Best of luck -- and I am sure of the experts here can give you a bit more
direction on the QIF file (I just don't remember what I did -- but it did
work!).

Ken