: importing

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 00:08:17 EDT 2018

On 3/11/2018 6:32 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Welcome to GnuCash!
>
> Since you have already found the qfx importer you are almost there.  Each
> QIF file contains only transactions from one financial institution and
> probably only for one or two accounts.
>
> You simply follow the steps that appear after starting the importer.  It
> will first ask you which account or accounts you want the transactions to
> apply to if it has never seen a file from that bank, then it will create a
> list of all the new transactions and try to get you to decide where you
> want them to go.  Finally it will actually import them when you click ok.
>
> If you are unsure which other account to assign, leave the transaction
> unassigned so you can fix it later.
>
> I always save my data just before any import so I can go back and try again
> if I decide that I made a mistake.
>
> Good luck!
>
> David C
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018, 4:24 PM Beri Hull <hullberi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am new to gnucash and want to import data from my various bank and
>> investment accounts that I have imported to finder as qfx files.  I  am
>> able to import  data as qfx  files that appear listed in a box titled
>> generic import transaction matcher.    I need the transactions imported
>> into  my register.  I have tried dragging,  clicking and cannot figure out
>> how to get them there.   I have found not one instruction, forum discussion
>> or video that  explains how to get the transactions into the proper gnucash
>> accounts.  To do this  must be so simple that it has escaped me.
>>

>> Neri
>> -----

> .

I think I understand what you are overlooking.

When the QFX/OFX importer imports your QFX file you will be asked where
to put the transactions if it does not recognize the financial
institution (Visa, Amex,  ...).

Once you actually see the individual transactions it will guess which
corresponding account (groceries, gas) to post to.  If you like what a
transaction matches, go to the next one.  If you do not like what it
matches (or says New, UNBALANCED ....) double click the "A" box.  You
will then be asked which account to match the transaction to.  Once you
like what you see for all of the transactions, click the "OK" button.

I also suggest that if it checks either the "U+R" or "R" box, that you
double click the the "U+R" or "R" box just to make sure it matches the
right transaction.  If not, double click the "A" box and manually match it.

And any time you do a manual match, you have the opportunity to create a
new account to put it in if need be.

Hope this helps.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.