Warning, possible bug, and question

Rick Copple rick at copplecleaningservice.com
Tue Mar 13 00:22:28 EDT 2018

I am using GNUCash 2.6.12 on an Lubuntu desktop environment running on
Unbuntu 16.04.4 LTS.

I just discovered tonight that my sales tax had stopped accumulating in
the sales tax account since an invoice on 2/1/18. I only noticed it
tonight because I wanted to know how much sales tax today's invoices had
recorded and when I went in, that's when I discovered the truth of what
had been going on. Yikes!

After some investigation, I discovered that the sales tax liability
account (I used the default) had somehow become disassociated with the
sales tax item, which apparently caused it to send the full amount of
the payment into the Undeposited Funds account instead of splitting out
the sales tax. On the invoice, it showed the sales tax item, and the
sales tax being split out like normal, but apparently it wasn't actually
splitting it out to the sales tax account.

I suspected when this happened, as earlier that month I switched from
using an XML books to an SQLite books. Then after using it on that for a
couple of weeks, decided to switch back (took just as long to open and
it did create a significantly bigger file, even though I have plenty of
room, but . . .) to an XML format data file. I noticed in my file's A/R
account, that on 2/1/18, I had entered one last invoice that did split
it out, but the following invoice on the same day didn't split the sales
tax out, so I knew it had to have happened between those two invoices.
So upon looking at the SQLite file and then the original XML file, I
determined that it happened when I first changed from an XML file to a
SQLite data file.

So, that is what happened, at least on my end. I don't know if anyone
wants to verify that on their system, but if so, it is a potential bug
that may need to be fixed. But at least a warning that whenever one
switches to an SQLite or any other format, to check the sales tax item
to make sure it is still linked to its sales tax account.

But now I have a question: what is the best way to edit almost a month
and a half of invoices to fix this problem? I know one way to do it, but
it is tedious. It involves pulling up each invoice since 2/1/18 through
3/11/1/8, unposting, resaving the line, and then reposting each invoice,
then reconnecting the payment back to each invoice. Being we have an
average of around 5 invoices a day, we're talking about 130 invoices to
do that to.

I was wondering if it would work and be any easier if I went into my
undeposited funds account where all the payments are posted, and edited
each entry to include a split for sales tax? Would that mess up anything
in the backend of the business functions to do that?

Or is there yet another way of accomplishing that which is easier?
Thanks for your help.

--
Rick Copple