Upgrading to 2.7 series

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Mar 13 10:30:37 EDT 2018

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 4:47 AM, elvis <elvis at dogonfire.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I run Gnucash under Gentoo and it has recently recommended it be upgraded to 2.7.4
>

> Currently I use 2.6.15
>
> I was wondering if there was any real problem with doing this? I understand the database changes format, that's not a problem.

The reason Gentoo recommends upgrading to 2.7.x is that 2.6.x requires an old version of libwebkit and Gentoo wants to get rid of that dependency. 2.7.x uses up-to-date libwebkit.

Unfortunately 2.7.x is an unstable release series with frequent releases and Gentoo isn’t keeping up: 2.7.4 was from the end of January, we just released 2.7.6 yesterday and will release 2.7.7 next weekend. If everything goes well 3.0 will follow the weekend after that.

I’d recommend *not* installing 2.7.4. 2.7.6 is much more stable, but there are still a couple of significant bugs that we know about. If you want to be a beta-tester you could install that, but if you just want to get your accounting done you should wait for 3.0.

Regards,
John Ralls