Request for a complete guide to setup and use GNUCash for online seller

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:35:35 EDT 2018

Welcome to GnuCash!

Unfortunately, everyones needs, even for a ’simple’ case of being an online seller are all very different. I put ’simple’ in quotes, because there is no such single thing as “online seller.” Each business is different. I have four e-commerce clients and each one is different from the other, and all four have inventory. I could not write a single setup guide that would be appropriate for all of them. There are just too many variables. Most of what they would need anyway, is not specific to GnuCash, but rather accounting entry questions specific to their business cases.

GnuCash is double-entry accounting software. It allows you to perform accounting on a computer using various accounting standards within the double-entry framework.

How you end up accomplishing this for your specific business is up to you.

I’ll point you to the Help Guide and Tutorial & Concepts Guide located on the GnuCash site. Read those first and get your software set up. As you are doing that, if you have any questions or trouble, ask us here on the list and we’ll try our best to help you along. These guides are the closest you’ll find to a one-size-fits-all guide you are looking for. The rest has to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Before you proceed, understand that GnuCash can certainly handle accounting for you. It can help you track the *value* of your inventory. But it is NOT designed to help you track the *quantities* of your inventory. For that, you’ll either need inventory software, or continue to use a spreadsheet. (or another version of that sheet, if the current one isn’t up to par for you)

Regards,
Adrien