Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Mar 15 15:23:27 EDT 2018

Some other things:

When buying a *new* computer, it pays to pay attention to the hardware
details.  Check the fine print or ask the sales critter about the make/model
of the various chipsets used:

Intel chips (Ethernet, Wifi, Video, Sound, etc.) are often amoung the *best*
supported under Linux.  Intel is actively involved in the Linux kernel support
community, so most/all of their chipsets will have kernel drivers as part of
the base kernel.  Note: you might still need to download and install Wifi
*firmware*.

Newbies should probably avoid nVidia video chips.  (Yes nVidia's video chips
might be faster, but they can be a hassle because although nVidia "supports"
Linux, they do it with semi-closed drivers that are non-trivial to install or
update.)  Unless you are doing serious 3D modeling or animation, they are more
hassle than they are worth.

RedHat employees use Leveno laptops, so it is likely that a Leveno laptop will
work *out of the box* with any RedHat-based distro (and will likely work with
Ubuntu, since RedHat is likely to push the drivers they develop into the Linux
kernel tree).

At Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:56:22 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey,
>
> As you can see, such a question can generate more suggestions than people responding.
>
> As someone who just tackled an issue with closed-source wifi drivers in Ubuntu, the links Edward provided seem to probably be the best route. I’ve also successfully tackled Realtek cards before, but they were much older, and each chipset comes with a “your mileage will vary” caveat.
>
> Note, I’d recommend creating a live usb/dvd (USB3 would be the fastest) and load that to test your distro of choice. If you’re familiar with Ubuntu, just stick with that. No need to add an OS learning curve yet when you already have a hardware issue. (Mint would be a fine substitute as noted if you want another choice)
>
> While in the live environment, try out the solutions presented on the pages Edward linked or others you find. Always try the easy, simple stuff first. If there are commands to try, such as blacklisting modules, bringing interfaces up and down, do those first, before you jump into compiling drivers yourself. More than likely, a usable driver you need is already compiled in the universe repository. It’s just a matter of installing it and blacklisting whatever is the default so your driver loads.
>
> Once you get networking in a usable state in the live environment, THEN install the OS. (Ubuntu and other distros are usually nice to Windows should you want to retain that installation - MS not so much if you go the other way around)
>
> Of course, you’ll have to repeat the steps to get networking up and running properly again, but you’ll be able to avoid the trial and error and just jump to the actual solution.
>
> Live environments are always slower than an actual install, but they should be significantly faster than running inside a VM, especially on a Windows 10 host.
>
> Whatever distro you choose, use their forums for help on your specific problem. They’ll be able to provide more tailored assistance.
>
> Best of luck.
>

> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Mar 15, 2018, at 1:17 AM, jeffrey black <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> > ditch Windoze 10 completely.
> >
> > I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I have
> > tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi, none of
> > which work.
> >
> > I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
> > RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
> > realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
> > the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no
> > internet, wifi, or networking capability under ubuntu.
> >
> > I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
> > 10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
> [...]

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933