Running two copies of GnuCash in Windows?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 17 06:35:02 EDT 2018

Hello. This is about Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

I have a file with opening balances as of 2017-12-31 and all 2018
transactions. I'm also converting my historical data from a dBase IV
file(!), so I have a second GnuCash file with opening balances as of
2010-12-31 and transactions from there through mid 2012 currently.

When I've brought that up to the end of 2017, I plan to merge the two.
But in the meantime, whenever I add or edit an account in one, I have to
close it, open the other, and remember to make the same change.

I'd like to have both GnuCash files open at once. I tried running two
instances of GnuCash at the same time, working with the two files. It
seemed okay, but I didn't enter any data because I'm nervous about some
sort of contention between the two, or non-re-entrant code. Is there a
problem with running two copies of the GnuCash program at the same time,
or is it safe?

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com