Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:56:15 EDT 2018

Avoiding updating the kernel can leave you with security vulnerabilities. Last summer there was a bluetooth vulnerability that was patched and some patches for Spectre and Meltdown have recently been released with more pending.

There is a solution to rebuilding drivers, however, called DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) Essentially, you install the dkms package first, then create a small .conf file with the instructions to build the driver using the modules instructions. You then copy the module files into the kernel source tree directories and then install the module using dkms. From there on out, each time you update the kernel, dkms will be called and it will re-compile and install any modules you set up this way. (note, this is generally how the custom drivers function of Ubuntu works. Virtualbox and Vmware also take advantage of dkms so their kernel modules survive kernel updates)

Instructions can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

If the RTL drivers that are pre-installed don’t seem to want to work with your hardware, double check dmesg and look for any related warnings or errors about not loading firmware. Some hardware requires proprietary firmware even though the drivers are open-source. The message might even give you a web address to download it from, but you can most likely easily find it by doing a web search. All you have to do then is unpack the firmware and copy it to the /lib/firmware directory. (on *buntu and Debian systems) This will survive a kernel update as the firmware files don’t get zapped. (the driver is already in the kernel anyway)

Regards,
Adrien