Unable to download stock quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 19 23:56:40 EDT 2018

> On Mar 19, 2018, at 7:53 PM, santer <anter.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The ability to download stock quotes has been a critical feature of gnucash.
> The yahoo resource stopped working over the last few months. A work around
> for me has been yahoo json, which is now so slow it's unusable.
>
> Does anyone know if something is being done to resolve this problem. What
> are some other work around options?

The only general workaround besides yahoo-json that we know of is Alphavantage, as explained at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F>. It is also quite slow compared to the former Yahoo! service.

Another alternative might be Google Finance, but there’s some concern about their terms of service vis-a-vis screen-scraping.

GnuCash 3.0 includes a new importer for stock prices in CSV format. If you can arrange to download quotes from a financial institution with which you do business you may be able to format those downloads for import.

Beyond that, we’re pretty much stuck. Neither we nor Erik Colson, the maintainer of Finance::Quote, can do much about retrieving quotes without a service to retrieve from.

Regards,
John Ralls