Wrong balance after entering transaction after import

BPleasantHill rjraker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 22:29:58 EDT 2018

Hi:

I am new to GnuCash and am converting from Quicken.

*Problem Summary*
I created a checking account, set a starting balance, and imported my
quicken QIF file. Then I adjusted the Opening Balance. Everything is OK.
Finally I entered a $60 payment. Instead of the balance going down by $60 it
went up by $1633.35. Why?

*Detailed steps*
1. Exported my checking account from Quicken in a QIF file.
2. Created a new account in GnuCash in Assets:Checking and set the Opening
balance to my 1/1/18 statement balance
3. Imported the quicken QIF file.
4. The final balance didn't match my check register so I changed the
starting balance. Then things matched.
5. Entered a new transaction with $60 in the Decrease column. The balance
went from 7303.47 to 8937.02. I was expecting a balance of 7273.47. I can't
figure out what is wrong.
6. Just as an experiment I entered another $100 transaction and the balance
went down my $100 as expected.
Seems like something is wrong someplace when entering new transactions after
importing.

Here is a picture:
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t377985/GnuCash.jpg>

Any idea why the balance is wrong? Thanks for your help.

Bob