Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use **[solved]**

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Mar 22 09:44:40 EDT 2018

On 3/21/2018 6:05 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Linux is not Unix.  Nor is BSD.  Very few users are interested either of
> the other two, but they both are very important in the grand scheme of
> things.
>
> David C

True about linux and the unixes not being the SAME operating system, but
users do not ordinarily interact with their computers at the level of
the operating system itself. They interact with a "windows manager" and
perhaps if a bit more advanced, at the command line with a "shell language".

Since linux and the various unix variants share* choices of windows
manager and shell languages and the standard unix library of utilities,
share the same notion of "permissions", etc. it makes little practical
difference at the user level. If I sat down at a terminal, in front of
me say a KDE screen or at the command line of bash I would not
immediately know was that linux, an old unix, BSD, etc. and with very
little of what I might do would it make any difference.

Michael D Novack

* A particular linux disto (or unix distro) might not come with the full
range of what is available in place, but could always get them.