Compiling -DWITH_GNUCASH=NO

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 24 13:09:42 EDT 2018

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:
>

> On 23 March 2018 at 11:59, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 23, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com <mailto:matt at conundrum.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 March 2018 at 00:35, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be <mailto:geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ideally this would become part of libgnucash in order to make the report
>>> generation platform independent as well (and hence opening the way to make
>>> it
>>> accessible one day on android or osx platforms). This will only be
>>> possible at
>>> the cost of moving away from scheme as reporting engine unfortunately as
>>> that
>>> would not be portable...
>>>

>> lua maybe?  It seems popular and portable.. and it's already on my personal
>> education roadmap. :)
>
> Apple’s rules for iOS include *no interpreters*. That means no Guile, no Python, no Lua, no Ruby, no Javascript.
>
> That's a shame.  But doesn't that pretty much rule out having an easily expandable reporting engine on iOS?

Not really. The report module in GnuCash is very much done “the hard way”. Plain queries and a simple processor to wrap the results in html along with a bit of css would get the same results with a lot less effort; add a query-by-example UI and the result would be infinitely more user friendly. I exaggerated a bit about Javascript because iOS includes Safari and it obviously has a javascript interpreter in it. I don’t know UIKit very well but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t expose some sort of browser-like view that we could use for displaying reports.

Regards,
John Ralls