beginning balance of income and expense accounts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:40:31 EDT 2018

I first started to type that as my reply till I took a closer look at her entries. Equity increases with a credit, but you can’t have a credit to equity and a credit to income to increase both without one or more debits to other accounts to balance the transaction.

Though it doesn’t hurt to check that setting to ensure it is sane for your personal view of things.

When you think about what income and expenses are, they really can’t have opening balances. Technically you can, but then they’d function as ’negative entries’ with an effect of being ‘prior period’ corrections once all the math works out. It’s just too confusing to bother.

Regards,
Adrien