Gnucash and 529 plans

Deva - pobox.deva at outlook.in
Sun Mar 25 08:02:04 EDT 2018

Steve,

Based on what I have read from other posts in a different context, you could try virtual accounts to get what you want.

But first, from what I know of 529 plans, shouldn’t you be asking the plan provider to make the payment directly to the university instead of disbursing to your account? This way, you won’t have to keep track of separate virtual accounts - whatever goes out of 529 is always into a university account towards tuition and room and board. Of course, personal deductible expenses such as books, computer, etc. may have to be disbursed to your account first and then used for qualified educational expenses. Anyway, I will assume you have a reason to do what you stated, so here’s one suggestion.

Under your checking account, create a virtual sub-account (say, "529 disbursals”) as another asset.
When you make a payment to the university, you move funds from your asset checking account to the virtual asset “529 disbursals” account. And from here, make a payment to an expense account setup for college. Assuming you had nothing in “529 disbursals” account when you started, this payment will make the balance go into -ve.
Request for a disbursal from 529. When the money comes into your checking account, move the disbursed amount into “529 disbursals” account. This will make the virtual asset account balance come back to 0.

From your perspective, whenever a -ve balance exists in the virtual sub-account, then you need to make a disbursal request. If the balance is 0, all is good. If the balance is +ve, then you have made a disbursal request larger than a qualified expense towards college (so, potentially a taxable event for you).

Cheers,
Deva