Fast reactions to 2.7.8

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Mar 27 14:15:48 EDT 2018

Op dinsdag 27 maart 2018 18:44:38 CEST schreef Stan Brown:
> (1) Not a fan of the toolbar showing icons without words. I _hate_ an
> interface where you have to hover over every single icon until you can find
> the one you want.

Not a fan of _hate_ (stress markers included) statements...

> Many programs offer "words only", "icons only", and "icons and words" as
> choices. I couldn't find anything like that. Please add it.

It used to be there in the 2.4 series. I have removed it for 2.6 and up
because I don't think this should be an application level setting. It should
be a system level preference and in addition is strongly influenced by the
human interface guidelines on that platform.

In addition, this is not a gnucash specific thing but rather a gtk thing.
Gnucash depends on gtk for its graphical interface. In an ideal world gtk
would query the OS it's running on for the proper gui customs and auto adjust
to it. Unfortunately it doesn't.

I meant to suggest here you can tweak this by means of a configuration file.
Unfortunately I haven't been able yet to get this to work for gnucash 2.7.8.
For gnucash 2.6 the Windows FAQ entry [1] still applies. The 3.0 part in that
entry is not working yet. I'll continue to investigate this.

> (2) At first I thought performance was horrendously slow, when I was
> entering transactions in the general ledger. Turns out the actual issue was
> that the Tab key, instead of advancing to the next field, just gave focus
> to the "Save" button at upper left. This was on windows 8, with Build ID:
> git 2.7.8+ (2018-03-25).

That's odd. I can't reproduce this on linux nor windows (Windows 7). What
field were you in when you hit the Tab key ?

Regards,

Geert

[1] https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
Windows#Q:_What_if_I_need_to_change_another_visual_aspect.2C_not_covered_by_.
22Select_Theme.22.3F