Fast reactions to 2.7.8

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 11:25:36 EDT 2018

That’s certainly a thorough run-down on changing themes.

But is there a way to edit a theme to make the button label visible? I see one could download a theme and go through all that trouble, only to find out the theme is hiding the labels. That could turn into quite a trial and error process and certainly result in having to choose a less desirable theme, just to have a label on a button.

On that note, is having a label on a button not done in the UI code? Looking at the button reference I see each one would need both an icon and a label or mnemonic label. I suppose the theme could choose or not to show the label, but it would have to be programmed in first. If all of those toolbar buttons are icons only...

(sorry, I haven’t taken a look at the code yet)

I would then suspect that in order for GnuCash to offer a toggle, it would have to at the least, branch the code on that preference to display buttons with or without labels, and then the question, “Are the labels are visible?” would depend on the user’s GTK theme. It appears the GTK devs either didn’t think this one through, or they are trying to enforce a certain look. Or maybe they can’t be made invisible by the theme at all, and this is entirely decided in UI code.

Regards,
Adrien