[GNC] Usage question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 1 22:57:31 EDT 2018

Jay,

#1 - automatically if the file is already open, subsequent opens should see the lock file and offer the user to open read only. However, they *can* override this and open the file for editing. I don’t know a way of preventing this. There isn’t any such setting as far as I’m aware, since at present, GnuCash is considered single-user and so doesn’t officially condone or contemplate multiple users. (for now, there are long terms plans, I think, for a multi-user ‘possibility’)

#2 - I don’t see any reason why a read-only user couldn’t run reports. Certainly, if you use one of the SQL backends, you don’t even need multi-user functionality or have to traverse such shaky ground. Use PieCash which can run reports on the db externally without GnuCash. (just don’t EDIT the data with PieCash)

#3 - The same data file can be used on any supported OS, but you have to use the same backend. XML is the default and recommended for now, but some use one of the SQL backends, even across multiple OSes. (But you don’t get to have one SQL backend on say Mac and a different one on Linux and a third on Windows) I have opened the same XML and same sqlite3 file on both Mac and Linux back and forth when testing things between the two OS app versions.

I’ll be happy to stand corrected if any of my understandings are off.

Regards,
Adrien