[GNC] GC 3.1 Mac OS X 10.13.4 High Sierra Report issue

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu May 3 00:49:01 EDT 2018

> > While I am at it, I note that the report setting to reverse account
> signs on the transaction report doesn’t seem to affect the total amount any
> more—it worked correctly in 2.6.19. ISTR that others have noted this—or
> does that need to get a bug as well?

I'm afraid the previous 'reverse accounts' strategy was flawed.

If both *income & expense* accounts are selected for reporting, until about
2.6.19 the strategy was as follows:
Total Income: $1000
Total Expenses: $800
Grand Total: $1800..... which is meaningless

Now, the report can be as follows, depending on reverse-accounts status:
Total Income: $1000
Total Expenses: $800
Grand Total: -$200

The grand total will add *un*reversed amounts, and, bearing in mind income
accounts are technically negative, will produce a "Grand Total" of -$200.

Instead of figuring out which reverse-amount strategy to follow, I'd
recommend enabling 'display/amount=double' which will explicitly place the
amount in (IMHO) the correct debit/credit column. The only downside to this
is that the 'display/subtotal-table' will then be unavailable.