[GNC] new v3.0 install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri May 4 21:28:05 EDT 2018

Hi Dennis,

I updated the BuildUbuntu16.04 page after having similar problems while
building Gnucash3.0. My apologies for any errors and lack of clarity in a
few areas and thanks for reporting the problems. I will edit the page to try
and make some issues clearer as I or other users uncover my mistakes.

$HOME is usually defined in Ubuntu and Linux Mint distributions as
/home/<user> where <user> is the logged in user name. If you want to install
in $HOME/.local/ you may need to check that these directories
$HOME/.local/bin, $HOME/.local/etc, $HOME/.local/lib, $HOME/.local/share
exist. This was John Ralls preference for an install for a single user to
avoid creating bin, etc, lib and share directories directly in the users
home directories. The use of a hidden directory avoids these appearing in by
default  and cluttering up your file browser (unless you enable  hidden
directories).

The correct option switch for Cmake is

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/.local.

My understanding is that the default value for this switch is /usr/local and
if you use cmake without the switch at all that is where it will install.
This along with /opt is the location most Linux distributors place their
packaged versions of applications like GnuCash in. In these locations
GnuCash would be available to all users with accounts on the computer and
not just the user installing it, but this requires administrator privileges
during installation. The distributors versions are often considerably out of
date which is the primary reason for building GnuCash yourself. If you use
the Software Manager or apt to install the Ubuntu distribution version for
example, it will overwrite your up to date built version if it is in this
location. I use this location, but I take care not to install the packaged
version from Linux MInt. (I have done so in the past while getting more
familiar with Linux, distributions , repositories etc.).

I have tried to fix the issues with the build instructions. I would
appreciate any comment on the changes to see if they have clarified the
issues you had.

Cheers

David

-----