[GNC] new v3.0 install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun May 6 04:22:28 EDT 2018

Dennis,

The obvious place to put the build-cmake directory is in the Applications
directory. I personally would not name it build-cmake but build-gnucash-3.1.
The reason for that is, to uninstall Gnucash there is no need to retain the
gnucash-3.1 source directory which can be deleted, but you will need to
retain the build directory.

Then there is nothing to identify the build-cmake directory as the build
directory for GnuCash if you call it build-cmake and if you subsequently
compiled another program from the Applications directory using the same
naming convention, you could end up with several build-cmake directories not
knowing which programs they are for, so you would have difficulty
uninstalling them, if you wanted to later. The name is more than likely a
hangover from when the developers were initially testing cmake against the
autotools configure script. They would probably have used a build-cmake and
a build-autotools or something similar to distinguish the parallel builds.

To start the whole process you would after extracting the tarball to
/home/dennis/Applications
Open a shell then

cd /home/dennis/Applications
mkdir build-gnucash-3.1
cd build-gnucash-3.1
"cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dennis/.local
/home/dennis/Applications/gnucash-3.1"
make
make install

Don't type the quotes in the above. They are to indicate that everything
between the quotes goes on one line and there is a single space between
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dennis/.local  and
/home/dennis/Applications/gnucash-3.1.  Part of the confusion may be that if
your screen resoluition is not the same as mine the wiki may be wrapping
lines. I have three different size screens so i will check that out and try
to find a way to ensure the cammands do appear on the one line.

That should install GnuCash 3.1 in your local directory. To run it you could
type in a terminal:

 /home/dennis/.local/bin gnucash %f

I am not exactly sure but I think the %f causes gnucash to open with the
last file it had open. It appears in the installed menu item for gnucash.

You could also add /home/dennis/.local/bin to the path variable by adding
the line

export PATH=$PATH:/home/dennis/.local/bin

to the file /home/dennis/.profile.  This should create the PATH variable
with /home/dennis/.local/bin added to it when you log on to the system.
Then you should only have to type

gnucash %f

at the terminal.

When you ran make install and installed in a user directory, I don't think
the install process creates a Menu item accessible from your Desktop but I'm
not totally sure about that as I install to /usr/local normally.

If you look up the procedure for installing Menu items for Ubuntu 18.04, you
could create a Menu item which will start Gnucash. I would use the full path
to the executable in this i.e.  /home/dennis/.local/bin gnucash %f. You will
find an icon in
/home/dennis/.local/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico which you can
attach to the menu item as described in the procedure for creating new menu
items in Ubuntu 18.04.

Good Luck

David

-----