[GNC] Handling VISA Debit Accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Mon May 7 09:37:37 EDT 2018

On 5/7/2018 2:39 AM, Karen Stingel wrote:
> This is a Fix of my previous thread ... Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol
> 182, Issue 8,
> apologies for not clarifying the subject line last time.
>
> How does gnc handle the Case of a VISA Debit card?
> Technically, this is a BANK account with a VISA enabled card and a
> $0.00 Credit Limit
> Should it just be created as a normal BANK account type?
>
> Are there any plans to include this as a new Asset Account type in
> future editions of gnc?

As others have already answered, if this is just a payment card
associated with an existing bank account (just another way of making
withdrawals from THAT account) no account to be added. But if it is a
separate account (with some institution) then yes. Thus you might have
an asset account category for "gift cards", "prepaid debit cards", etc.

HOWEVER -- you have raised a more general question, perhaps
misunderstanding something. The "built in default" accounts that come
with gnucash CoA skeletons are just for convenience satisfying the needs
of many new users. There is nothing magic about the types of accounts
included, either that they would be necessary or sufficient. If you find
you need another category of asset accounts (another sub tree under
assets) simply add that. Same with liabilities and equity (and thus for
income and expense).

Your CoA is YOUR CoA specific to YOUR needs.

Michael D Novack