[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 182, Issue 8

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Mon May 7 10:27:59 EDT 2018

> On May 6, 2018, at 11:32 PM, Karen Stingel <gnucash at kstingel.email> wrote:
>
>   How does gnc handle the Case of a VISA Debit card?
>   Technically, this is a BANK account with a VISA enabled card and a
>   $0.00 Credit Limit
>   Should it just be created as a normal BANK account type?
>   Are there any plans to include this as a new Asset Account type in
>   future editions of gnc?
>   Are Python Bindings enabled in the Windows binaries, and could this
>   Account type be added via writing a Python script?

Yes, it’s a bank account. The debit card is just a way of accessing it. No, it’s not new: I got my first ATM card in 1976 when Visa was still a division of the Bank of America called “Bankamericard". It’s also not a separate account type, it’s just a plain old checking account--even though you may never write a paper check on it. The $50 credit limit is just “overdraft protection” under a different name.

The python bindings are not enabled in the Windows or Mac all-in-one packages that we distribute because they must be linked with the same python library that the python interpreter running the program is so we’d have to include a complete python distribution in the package. They’re already too fat thanks to WebKit. In any case, you can’t add account types from the bindings, they’re hard-coded in libgnucash/engine/Account.cpp.

Regards,
John Ralls