[GNC] Handling VISA Debit Accounts

randix butterandsalt at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:45:48 EDT 2018

Did VISA debit cards do somethin' to you as a child, why are you pickin' on
them (that reply is to no one in particular, only the thread, so pleeze, no
one get defensive)?

A debit card [to me] is a non-existent entity, it has no business having its
own "account".

My schwab checking account has a VISA debit card (yippee, so
impressive...)... if i use it to buy a hamburger at Steve's Burgers, I enter
it in the schwab checking account as "Steve's Burgers", I think that
deserves a "duh"...

If I use the debit card for ATM withdrawals, I call it ATM-23, ATM-42.50,
ATM-43, ATM-203, etc., regardless what ATM machine I decide to hug.  My
gnucash entry automatically enters the atm charge into an expense account
for atm charges, and pushes the remaining bucks into my cash account (which
IS deserving of it's own account).  After years of doing this, I have every
combination covered.  So ATM-23 means $3 bank charge and $20 debited from my
checking and pushed into my "cash" account.

Course Schwab reimburses me for all ATM charges at the end of each month, so
that acts as a credit to my expense account for bank atm charges...

Works great.  As much as I luv my debit card, sorry, debit card, you don't
deserve your own place... :) Now if you had brunette hair, about 5' 7"
and.... we'd talk.