[GNC] Crash log for event on 3.1-1

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue May 8 12:13:55 EDT 2018

> On May 8, 2018, at 7:30 AM, Anthony Dardis <adardis at runbox.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry, Adrien Monteleone suggested I post the crash log there at gnucash-user; I'll put it at the bug tracker next time.
>
> Is there a better / more reliable thing to get out of Mac OS than one of these crash logs? I just selected and copied the text from the crash log.

And
> On May 8, 2018, at 7:42 AM, Anthony Dardis <adardis at runbox.com> wrote:
>
> should I just attach the .crash file rather than making a .txt file?
>

> On 5/8/18 10:14 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>>> On May 8, 2018, at 5:56 AM, Anthony Dardis <adardis at runbox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Attached is a crash log for a 3.1-1 crash on OS X 10.13.4 on MacBook Air 2015.
>>>
>>> Context: I was reconciling each of my high activity accounts at beginning of month last week; the first two went smoothly; I opened the account to reconcile the third, clicked the Reconcile button, and GnuCash crashed "completely", just disappeared and stopped.
>>>
>> It’s much better to use the bug tracker for crash reports. Mailing list articles tend to get forgotten about.
>>
>> I’m not sure how reliable that backtrace is, the libraries on the left don’t match up well with the functions on the right.

Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

The “.crash” is a plain text file, so no transformation is necessary. The only thing to do is to set the file type to “text/plain” when you upload it to bugzilla so that it’s readable in the browser.

There’s a little more data you can collect: You can run GnuCash from the command line with the --debug and --extra options and crash it again--assuming that there’s something about the data that caused the crash rather than some random problem in Gtk--and attach the resulting trace file to the bug, pasting in any output in the Terminal window as well.

Regards,
John Ralls