[GNC] Trouble installing

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed May 9 09:58:56 EDT 2018

> On May 8, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks John,
>
> I knew they were there. I only pointed her to SourceForge because she’d been there already.
>
> I should have also pointed out the announcement thread and/or the posting of the announcement directly on the GnuCash site. There’s always more than one way to tackle something.
>
> Since you brought it up, I know you’re really good about syncing info, but is there a ‘best place’ to pull the hashes from, just in case one source might be errant? And, not that you need to, but I know some publishers (Canonical comes to mind) also publish a hash file with a gpg signature. If you do that somewhere, certainly, that would be the first stop for users to make.
>
> ---------
>
> I see also on SourceForge that the ‘i’ button-link on the right of that screen (if you have JavaScript active) shows the sha1 and md5 hashes for each file which is also an option for anyone interested.
>
> As well, there are more methods than the one I listed in my reply on how to verify. (with MacOs in particular there is also the ‘shasum’ command.) Personally, I use a download plugin for Firefox (Downthemall) that offers the option to input the hash, specify the algorithm, and it verifies when the download is done.
>
> If you’re downloading via torrent, the Transmission client (as I’m sure others) also offers a verification option, though I’ve yet to figure out how it does it since I don’t specify the hash file or sequence. (perhaps the hash is referenced by the torrent file itself?)

Adrien,

Since it’s a manual process I’m no more likely to screw up one place than another. I do try to fix any mistakes on all three as soon as someone notices. The exception is the email, which is immutable, so I’d suggest not looking there.

SourceForge has been accused in the past of changing downloads, which is why we started hashing them a couple of years ago. They say they’ve stopped, but if they ever start up again the hashes they generate would be for their version of the file while the one in README is created when I upload the file. Of course they could easily change that too, but then it wouldn’t match the ones on Github and www.gnucash.org <http://www.gnucash.org/>.

Would a GPG-signed hash file still display on SourceForge and would it somehow fail to display if it was altered and the signature invalidated? Unless that’s the case ISTM having the hashes incorporated into the release announcements affords better assurance.

Regards,
John Ralls