[GNC] how do I get different dates for balancing transactions when transferring amounts between two accounts

RL rlaggren at mail.com
Mon May 14 18:19:50 EDT 2018

I have two bank accounts on which I regularly write checks to transfer
amounts between them. Downloading the ofx files from each bank, I have,
for those checks, transactions with different (correct) dates in each GC
account which represent the left and right side of the same accounting
transaction. For purposes of reconciling against the bank statements,
these dates must remain different in their separate GC accounts, even
though they are opposite ends of the same accounting transaction.

GC wants to make the balancing transactions in each GC account one
single identical transaction (except for the proper credit/debit column,
depending on which account I'm looking at). I don't see how to work this
and maintain both accounts true to their source, the bank transactions.
The date is also important because at times it matters when a check was
cashed and when it was payed by the originating bank; there needs to be
an accurate record of this. An additional, maybe lesser, problem is that
GC's methodology makes the transaction number the same in each GC
account. Since the trans number is one of the most easily noted text
fields, I have been using it to quickly/easily identify "deposits" - but
this won't work if I want to retain the check number in that field (very
important). Also, a check number on a deposit line doesn't seem
particularly proper.

How is this handled in GC?

Thanks
Rufus