[GNC] pros/cons of storage formats

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu May 17 01:36:03 EDT 2018

Keith,

The SQL backends are having a few issues at the moment. It would be a good idea to search the list here and also to look over the bug reports on Bugzilla.

I originally used MySQL when I was running an Ubuntu box as my daily machine, but changed to XML when I moved to MacOS, and then switched to sqlite3 about two years ago, but had to change back to XML since the 3.x series release due to several bugs related to the business features. (if you don’t use those, you might not have any problems)

If all you want is the ability to run outside queries for custom reporting or data integration, then sqlite3 is probably your safest bet. MySQL and Postgres are much more involved to setup and maintain. Essentially, if you’re not a database admin, you probably don’t need those two or will not find any advantage to the maintenance learning curve and overhead, stick with sqlite3 or XML.

As for searching the list archives, use the following syntax before your search query terms:

site:lists.gnucash.org

However, I see that DuckDuckGo does not return any results with this method.

Google does, as well as StartPage. (the latter I find to be more privacy conscious than DDG and usually provides me more relevant results.) I haven’t tested any other search engines with that syntax.

Regards,
Adrien