[GNC] GnuCash losing Notes, or just a display problem in the Register?

Randy Orrison randy.orrison at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:00:35 EDT 2018

I've just noticed in Version 3.1 that all my Notes have vanished from the
register.  I use GnuCash with the register set to Basic Ledger and Double
Line Mode, so I always see the Description and Notes fields.  I've noticed
today that all of the Notes fields are blank, including some that I know
I've entered.  I looked in Bugzilla but couldn't find an existing bug -
have I just missed it?

I'm using Version 3.1, Build ID: 3.0-118-gd2ef5fd0f+ (2018-04-28), on
Windows 10; I think I'm using the SQLlite storage.

Detailed steps:
Select an account, go to the bottom new transaction line:

Enter the date, Description, an account, an amount, and something in the
Notes field, and hit Enter
See that the Notes appear in the register:

Close the tab for the register
Re-open the account
See that the Notes still appear in the register for that transaction
Close GnuCash
Re-open GnuCash, then re-open the account
See that the test note, and all other notes, are gone

I really really hope this is just a display issue and the notes aren't
actually lost from the data.

If this isn't already in Bugzilla I'll add it.

Randy