[GNC] Modelling employee expenses

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue May 22 21:17:41 EDT 2018

On 22 May 2018 at 21:02, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>
wrote:

> > There isn't a way to make a line item in an employee voucher taxable (no
> taxable checkbox, and no field to specify a tax table).  But with a bit of
> math I could reduce the unit price of a taxable item and then add a tax
> line after it.  It’s a bit finicky, but I think it'd work.
>
> I was about to note that math wasn’t necessary, but I see from your other
> reply, you are in a VAT jurisdiction. If the receipts don’t specify the VAT
> amount separately, then yes, you’ll have to do some math. Fortunately,
> GnuCash can help. You can enter math operators directly into quantity and
> value fields and it will do the heavy lifting.

Yeah, I do that sort of thing all over the place within GnuCash.

I ended up being forced to go back to separating out the taxes in the
employee voucher because paying off a bill from a liability doesn't quite
work right.  The issue is that the tax on the bill is applied to the
correct tax liability, but there's nothing to offset that in the employee
reimbursement liability.  So when I finish paying off everything, it
doesn't balance out.

Doing this "the hard way" by entering tax-creditable employee expenses as
two line items is less work than trying to figure out how to balance the
tax transaction correctly.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to this thread.. even though I
didn't find a way to do this as I'd like, it's been a very helpful
discussion.