[GNC] Invoice tax rouding issue in 2.x

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed May 23 04:23:00 EDT 2018

On Wednesday, 23 May 2018 02:11:26 BST Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> I've got an off-by-a-cent error on an invoice due to the way taxes are
> calculated.  GnuCash (2.6.21) is calculating the tax on each individual
> taxable item, then summing that up, and adding that value to the subtotal.
> This causes an error because each individual tax calculation is rounded
> prior to subtotalling.
>
> Given a tax rate of 13%, GnuCash is doing this:
>
>             Item     Tax
>           277.50   36.08
>            92.50   12.03
> Subtotal: 370.00 + 48.11 = 418.11
>
> When the real calculation should be:
>
>             Item      Tax
>           277.50   36.075
>            92.50   12.025
> Subtotal: 370.00 + 48.100 = 418.10

Hi Matt,

I take the view that if the supplied invoice specifies a VAT total, then that
is what my GC numbers should reflect. If that needs a correction line on a GC
vendor bill by a penny or two then so be it.

If there is not a VAT total specified, then on the very odd occasion that GC
rounding comes into play I usually round the VAT charged up to the whole
penny, on the precedent that on the Income tax return HMRC let you round
expenses up to the next whole pound.   I doubt that an inspection by HMRC
would be overly concerned by the odd penny rounding here & there.  Of course,
I'm in the UK so YMMV...

I have no idea about v3 yet - not going to upgrade until I've sorted out all
my year end stuff in the next few weeks...

0.02
Maf.